Today i was at a bit of a loose end so i thought i would try some fillings for macarons id been meaning to try. A mint italian buttercream and a caramel fleur de sel buttercream. Both came out pretty well really
Basic Italian Buttercream (base for both of the above)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into slices
1. Whisk together the sugar and egg whites just to combine.
2. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk for around 3-4 minutes or until the sugar is all dissolved and the mixture is warm.
3. Take the bowl off the pan and continue to whisk on higher speed until stiff and shiny around 4 minutes.
4. On a low speed add the butter one piece at a time
At this stage for the mint I just added peppermint extract to taste. For the caramel I added caramel from the recipe below this was also done to taste but for half of the above recipe I added 3 large teaspoons of caramel.
Caramel Fluer De Sel
- 200g Sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 200g single cream
- 5g fleur de sel
- 140g unsalted butter
1. Bring the sugar and water to a boil until it turns a beautiful amber colour. You should also notice the smell suddenly turns to a wonderful caramel.
2. Take of the heat and add the warm cream a little at a time until all combined.
3. Let cool until around 105f and then with an immersion blender add the butter piece by piece until you get a glossy mixture. cover with cling film until use.